Consider these questions:
- Can it be recycled?
- Does it save water?
- Does it save energy?
- Is it available in bulk?
- How far with it be shipped?
- What maintainence is required?
- Does it contain recycled content?
- Is it durable and will it last a long time?
- Are raw materials being extracted to make it?
- Are their equivalent options with less packaging?
Green Purchasing Myths:
- Myth – Greener products always cost more money.
- Truth – In many cases, going green can actually save money!
- Myth – Greener products are not high quality.
- Truth – Today’s greener options are nothing like those of the past.
- Myth – Your small changes cannot make a difference.
- Truth – Little things add up if we “Do something bigger altogether.”
Look for these labels:
Green Products List – Staples
Green Products List – Office Depot
Select Cart Information – Office Depot
NC Project Green – Managed by NC DENR
Environmentally Preferable Procurement – NC DENR
Contracts Containing Recycled Content – NC Purchase & Contracts
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing – US Environmental Protection Agency
Comprehensive Procurement Guidelines – US Environmental Protection Agency
The Seven Sins of Greenwashing – Underwriters Laboratories